COYLE SCHOOL ADDITION
FARM TO MARKET ROADS
Stone for WPA and other New Deal
projects was quarried from various
places in Logan county. Several
good areas were located in
Meridian but not all stone was
suitable for building. Surface
stone was usually too fraglie to
use for building stone and tended
to flake apart.
The Meridian School was built from native stone
quarried from the local area. Tne Meridian School
District was consolidated to Coyle in 1970, After this,
the school building was used as a community center
and church. It is now vacant and the town of Meridian
had only 38 citizens according to the 2010 census.
The Indian Meridian Monument, though not a WPA
project is located near by and has been updated in the
last ten years.
The Langston Public School
was built in two sections.
The center two-room brick
structure was built at a cost
of $10,800 and employed 85
The two stone wings, a
stage, dressing room,
heating and water plants,
and sanitation facilities
were added in 1935 at a
cost of $8,661. 51 men
were emplyed for three
months to build the
The center of the school roof has collapsed, leading to the demolition of the center portion.
Shells of the two additions still remain, showing hidden details of how these beautiful stone
structures were constructed.
An auditorium addition was added
to the Coyle School originally built
in 1924 This addition began in
1939, included a new roof, heating
system, reworking the central
portion of the school, replacing
defective windows, and repairing
The WPA paid for the labor and a
school bond paid for the materials
for the project. The school bond
was passed by a vote of 171 to 1.
The WPA helped fund the grading,
drainage and paving of rural roads in
Logan County. Two miles of Indian Meridian
road between Highway 33 and Meridian,
were paved by this project, 17 miles of
road ending west from Meridian were also
paved in 1939. Together these roads
employed 100 men at a cost of $39,000 in
Additional farm to market roads were paved as part of a "blanket" WPA project in the county,
which put 200 men to work. The funds were available as long as the county matched 25% of the
cost in cash or equipment. Planned roads included roads north of Marshall, 3 miles north of
Mulhall, 3 miles north-east of Crescent, 4 miles southeast of Guthrie and from Guthrie to the
Summit View Cemetery.
The entire project cost $30,500 and employed 83 men. Since then, the WPA section has been
added to and further modified.