The Organic Act of 1890 provided for the establishment of six counties
in the Unassigned Lands. What would become Logan County was first
known as County No.1. Guthrie was one of the two original locations
planned to be used as land offices during the opening of
the Unassigned Lands for settlement. It was also designated to be
the Capital of the Oklahoma Territory. On April 22, 1889, Guthrie was
formed with the first Land Run opening the Oklahoma Territory for
In less than 24 hours the population of County No.1 increased to
10,000 people with Guthrie becoming so large that it needed to be
split into four separate communities to stay in compliance with the
rule that no settlement could exceed 320 acres. As a result, Guthrie
was divided into Guthrie, East Guthrie, West Guthrie and Capital Hill.
Guthrie was now the Territorial Capital of the Oklahoma Territory and
later, it served as the First Capital of the State of Oklahoma.
The name County No.1 was changed to Logan County after the first
election in the Territory on August 5, 1890. The county was named
after Major General John A. Logan, a popular Union general during
the Civil War. By 1900, the county population reached 25,563 people
with a breakdown of 77% white and 23% black.
The African American population was on the rise due to E.B. McCabe
forming the all black town of Langston and the encouragement of
black immigration societies. Several other towns which were formed
in the county's early days, still exist today while others have faded
away over time.
The county population continued to rise until Guthrie lost the capital
to Oklahoma City in 1910. After 1910 the population of Logan County
decreased until new subdivisions started to attract more people.
The 2010 census shows the population of the district to be 41,848.
Guthrie remains the Logan County Seat. Guthrie's downtown
business district was designated in 1999 as a National Historic
Landmark Historic District and there are several National Register
properties in the County.